Sep 14, 2011

Together, We Stand as One

24.8.2011 marked a history in my life. It was the day when people in Hawler (Erbil) Capital of Kurdistan decided to break the silence and marched to Aankawa, where the Turkish Consulate General is to support their Kurdish Brothers and sisters on the borders.

Just a few days ago, we heard on news that Seven Civilians were murdered near Qandil Mountain while they were trying to escape from Turkish air raids in the area.

It was indeed a heartbreaking news for all of us.
Therefore, something has to be done.

The good news is, Kurd all around the world started demonstrations condemning Turkey for its brutal actions towards the Kurdish civilians. Though unfortunately the foreign minister of Turkey denied the killing of the seven civilians, but somehow this was expected, after all, humans’ lives have the least value for human beings!
Sadly, this has always been the case.

Being part of the demonstrations, gave an exceptional feeling.
To be honest, I do love this land and I would do anything for it, but it wasn’t only feeling of love that pushed me towards the demonstration, it was also feeling of guilt.

Yes, I felt guilty. When I was going to sleep I was thinking about those victims. I was asking my self, why do we have to be victims, when we can be victors?  Why do we have to spend our lives fighting to prove ourselves? I was telling myself, “they say with money you can buy anything,” but, all we need is peace, but we can’t buy peace with money, can we? There were so many other why's rising and falling in my head.

So we headed to university first, where I first met Sazan Mandalawi, Bewar Rwandzi and some other dear friends. We spent around an hour making posters and writing things.

Hands were holding Kurdistani Flag, high up to the White & Blue sky; wrists wrapped with White, Red, Yellow, & Green ribbons and we were on our top spirit, ready to march.

I was among a group of freedom fighters. Those who were with me that day were the people that I would call “the leaders” for the future of Kurdistan. You could perceive love, passion, and bravery in their eyes.

While I was marching with my friends, I remembered the times when parents and siblings were telling me about the uprising in 1991, I have always been keen to listen to the stories of that time.  But, this time, I wasn’t just listening to any story, I was actually living them as well.

I won’t forget the moments I lived in 24.8.2011; they stand for so much to me and my people.
Yes, we did, we told the world we will no longer accept victimization of our people. As long as there is a will to freedom and peace, we will always find a way.

To the enemies of Kurdistan;
Dear opponents, it doesn’t matter how hard you try or what you do, you will never be able to defeat the spirit of this nation. We will hold on like a mountain.
It doesn’t matter how many of us you murder, you will never plant hatred in our hearts.

And like dear Martin Luther King said once, “Darkness can not drive out darkness, only light can do that; hate can not drive out hate, only love can do that.”
We are still embracing this land tight; and we will always do.

No More Silence.
Bewar, Making posters.
Kurdistani Flag surrounded by the protesters.
The pictures of the family members,who have been massacred in the air-raid. Among the protesters, are some of my friends.
Protesters shouting: " Amad, Qandil, Mahabad, yak Charanus yal Wlat!"
Translation: "Amed, Qandil, Mahabad, One Destiny, One Country!"

Note: The photos are taken by Sara S. Sinjary.


I know it's a bit late to write about this now, but I got to busy lately to write anything. :)
And by the way, today is the first day of Jazhn (Eid); Happy Eid Everyone.

This article was written in August 30, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment